Captech Logistics is an order fulfillment center. But, those that are new to efulfillment or are a startup may be asking themselves, “what is the order fulfillment process?“.
Step by Step: The Order Fulfillment Process
For the purpose of this article we are referring to ecommerce order fulfillment, sometimes referred to as efulfillment.
The order fulfillment process is what happens in between someone placing an order and the order being transported to the customer.
More specifically, here is the steps that take place after a customer places an order online:
- Order is received at fulfillment center. (At Captech our 3pl software integrates with most online shopping cart software so we receive an order notification as soon as the order is placed.)
- Fulfillment center employee picks and packs the order. (Pick and pack is the terminology used for locating the ordered items in a warehouse and securely packaging them for shipment.)
- Customized value added services may also be performed including: special labeling, kitting, etc.
- Shipping documents and labels are prepared per order specifications.
- Items are securely prepared and packaged, shipping label is affixed and package is turned over to shipping or freight company. (Note: Captech Logistics provides order fulfillment for a wide range of items. We prepare items for parcel shipping, palletize items for LTL (less than truckload) transport and can arrange FTL (full truck load) freight shipping.
- Order status and tracking information is updated in the shipping software. (With Captech’s inventory software system the information is automatically available to the shop owner and can be sent to the customer.)
What is a Fulfillment Center?
Many startups will begin by processing their own orders. However, there are many reasons companies should outsource their fulfillment (ex: save time, reduce expenses). When the cost of maintaining inventory and the time/resources associated with filling orders start to hinder growth many ecommerce startups look for another option.
An order fulfillment center can help manage these costs by holding inventory for a company and filling their orders. Oftentimes order fulfillment centers can add features that are difficult for small business owners to maintain (ie: same day shipping, fast order processing, professional order fulfillment software tools).
If you’re storing inventory and filling your own orders, it might be time to consider using an order fulfillment center. Captech Logistics is an order fulfillment center in New York that’s large enough to offer a wide range of fulfillment and logistics services yet small enough to provide a personal touch. We’d like to work with you to help your business succeed. Request more information today.